Have you ever noticed how those who were gathered around Jesus that day on the mountainside were feeling or the thoughts that were running through their heads and hearts when they first heard the Great Commission? Matthew records it this way… “And when they saw him they worshiped him, but some doubted.” (Matt. 28:17)
That’s right — Some were actually experiencing doubt (maybe even fear) in the midst of their desire to believe and worship the Savior of the world. I think that same kind of doubt can still easily capture our hearts, making us weary, defeated and even unwilling to personally attempt something as overwhelming as the Great Commission. And yet, here we are again, making goals for the year ahead and thinking about how we will accomplish the things we believe God has called us to do for Him.
It’s common to set goals without an accountability system in place to “keep our feet to the fire.” Not so with ABWE missionaries. Each year we have an official (yes, mandatory) evaluation of how the previous year turned out. It’s a great time to reflect and thank God for all He has done, and in some cases, consider the goals that weren’t accomplished and ask why not? Then, we record new goals for the year ahead.
It can be a daunting process, especially if we are really stretching ourselves and asking God to do something really big!
Here is a brief summary of our 2018 goals and how we believe God is leading us.
- Church Planting: Tom will come along side Wade McComas in a supportive pastoral role at Mountain View, Hermanus, while continuing to lead the MV Church Multiplication Team.
- Multiplying Missions: We will further develop our partnership with our Brazilian colleagues and take actions steps to open Mozambique as a new field for ABWE.
- Mobilization: We will attend ABWE’s 24-Hour Demo and Candidate Seminar, Host Three Short-term Interns, Speak at the Next Gen Leadership Conference and be mentors to several Next Gen leaders.
- Team Building/Leadership Training: We will host the ABWE Regional Directors from Africa for a conference, as well as host the first Southern Africa Team Leaders Advance.
- Professional Training & Development: We will complete Biblical Counselor Training and become certified counselors.
- Shepherding/Soul Care: We will pray for and “be there” for our missionary families, providing encouragement and help while also challenging them toward ABWE’s mission… “Fulfilling the Great Commission by multiplying leaders, churches and mission movements among every people.”
If you’re still reading this – thank you… you’re amazing! Thank you for being highly engaged, supportive and for walking the journey with us. You might be asking yourself the same question we are asking, “How can all these goals be accomplished this year? Every year we say that, and every year we face the future with a certain amount of doubt.
Having just reflected on the goals we set for 2017 this time last year, (so daunting at the time!) we saw that by God’s grace and in His strength we were able to report that each one was accomplished! But what will happen this year? How will God lead us in the days and months ahead? Are we crazy or faithful? Sometimes they look the same!
Having said that, we are trusting The One who has the plan in hand. He promises never to leave us or forsake us and we are committing our plans to Him. Proverbs 16:9 says “The heart of man plans his way, but the LORD establishes his steps.” Psalm 37:4-5 says “Delight yourself in the Lord, and he will give you the desires of your heart. Commit your way to the Lord, trust in him, and he will act.”
A W Tozer’s quote says it well, “I take refuge in the fact that while I don’t know everything, I do know Someone who does!” Thank you for your partnership and please let us know if you would like more information about how to engage in helping with our goals for 2018.